1) Briefly describe yourself, your background in your field, and your business.
My name is Shaydreca Sanders, but everyone calls me Shay. I was born and raised in Central Florida. I graduated from DeLand High School with honors in 2002 and earned my bachelor’s degree in psychology from The Florida A&M University in 2007. My wife, Laurie G. Sanders and I moved to Humboldt County in 2010 when she was recruited for a Behavior Analyst position in Arcata. I began developing my business in 2012, graduated from Fredrick and Charles Beauty College in 2015 and was able to open my own barbershop/salon in 2016: Sanders Grooming Lounge and Supply.
2) Explain what makes your business unique.
My business is unique because it was born from my family’s legacy of spirituality, business ownership, and community service.
3) What inspired you to become an entrepreneur and business owner?
When I arrived in Humboldt, I knew I was far away from “home.” There weren’t many people that looked like me and the amenities that I was accustomed to were nonexistent. I wanted to fill in the void, but I didn’t know where to begin. The last straw for me however, was not being able to find someone that I trusted to do my hair.
My hair is very important to me because it represents my heritage and culture that I am very proud of. This is a feeling shared by most individuals from similar backgrounds.
4) What does beauty mean to you? And how does this translate into the work you do?
To me, beauty is a combination of qualities, such as shape, color, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially the sight. Nothing brings me more joy than transforming my clients into someone they themselves find beauty within. I love watching my clients come back to life after receiving a service from me.
5) What is one valuable lesson you’ve learned from working with people of all different backgrounds and life experiences?
I’ve learned how to have respect for each person’s individual journey and serve them accordingly. I believe this is how I’ve been able to build such a loyal clientele base.
6) What is one goal you hope to achieve through your business?
My ultimate goal is to be an example of what one can do if they run their business from the heart and not just for financial gain.
7) What is one piece of advice you have for someone wanting to pursue their dreams of going into business for themselves?
Know who you are, and to thine own self be true! Work your magic!
8) What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
Do you Shay! Don’t worry about those that are against you. Align yourself with people that are for you!
9) What has been the biggest challenge and the biggest reward from owning your own business?
The biggest challenge has been human relations within customer service. Disrespectful people make me angry (lol). The biggest reward has been human relations within customer service. People who show appreciation for me and my business make my heart soar.
10) What is one book that changed your life? Why?
Peace From Broken Pieces by Iyanla Vanzant changed my life. This book spoke to my core being and gave me tools to access my full potential.
219 2nd Street, Eureka CA 95501