Tanishia Boswell, and her sister Patricia Arneson are licensed Cosmetologists and Eureka, CA natives. Tanishia has worked as a professional stylist for ten years, and Patricia has been in the industry for eight. Together then run a salon called Trimmed & Pinned Hair Studio in Eureka CA with five professionals offering all hair services, makeup, eyelash extensions and nails.
1) Explain what your business is and what your qualifications in the beauty industry are.
My sister Patricia and I co-own Trimmed & Pinned Hair Studio in Eureka, California. We offer hair, nail, makeup and lash services, and will be open for three years in July.
2) Do you use any cruelty-free or vegan hair products? Do you retail any cruelty-free options in your shop?
We offer many 100% vegan and cruelty-free products from the brands Pulp Riot, Pravana, and Pureology, all of which we retail and use for professional services. Patricia and myself use Pulp riot as our main color line.
3) Do you have inquiries from clients regarding accessibility to cruelty-free or vegan hair care?
I believe that because we live here in beautiful humboldt county, many people are interested in incorporating more vegan and cruelty-free products into their everyday lives. This includes beauty and personal care needs, so we are happy to offer services that cater to that lifestyle.
4) Do you believe that you can achieve the same professional color and style results with cruelty-free / vegan options?
Yes! Of course! If not better results! I have used Pravana as my color line for ten years and Pulp Riot for three years. I have dabbled in other color lines as well, but the longevity and vibrancy of these two brands is unbeatable! Both lines provide shampoo, conditioner and styling products for all your needs.
5) Is it difficult to replace your professional products with high quality cruelty-free alternatives?
Not at all. I’ve been using vegan and cruelty-free color lines for ten years, and have offered Pravana and Pureology retail hair-care products for that same amount of time. Those, and now our newest line, Pulp Riot are our most sought after products.
6) Do you notice a shift in professional hair care offering more cruelty-free options to pros?
Yes! I feel like in the past three to five years so many companies have come out with vegan product lines. Many of them are sub-lines of the parent company, but unfortunately very few companies are 100% vegan.
7) Do the cruelty-free professional options cost more than traditional high-end hair colors, therefore causing an increase in price for client services?
Vegan products and services do tend to cost more in general. Although the up front cost of vegan hair color is more then non-vegan color, the longevity and vibrancy lasts exceptionally longer for our clients. This means we replace our pro supplies less often, and the client is ultimately happier with their results. Therefore, it’s a much better investment.
8) What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever gotten?
My mother has always told me to “Pick my battles.” This applies to spousal relationships, friends and family, and also applies greatly to my business. Not all battles are worth fighting over- if you truly love someone or what you’re doing, then don’t let the little things break that apart.
9) What has been the biggest challenge and the biggest reward of owning your own business?
Owning your own business is seriously the best and most stressful thing ever. Our biggest challenge was actually getting the salon up and running- acquiring all of our licensing, choosing product lines, and completing all the construction on our building was a stressful process. My sister and I did all of it in 30 days. We had to leave our previous job promptly, and our clients needed somewhere to go! I would say the most rewarding thing about owning our own business is all of our awesome clients, from the ones that followed us during our move to all the new ones we’ve met at our new location! All of us here at Trimmed & Pinned, whether we work here or come here for services, have become family and that is so rewarding.
10) What is one book that changed your life? Briefly describe why.
Okay, so I honestly don’t read a lot. I think the last books I read were the Harry Potter series. But I recently picked up the book Stay sexy, and don’t get murdered: A How to Guide by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark, the hosts of one of my favorite podcasts: My Favorite Murder. I just started the book so I can’t tell you if it changed my life but after listening to the podcast I know it’ll be a good one, written by two amazing female entrepreneurs.
Visit Trimmed & Pinned At:
507 H Street, Eureka CA